Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
For more information on our program, please call 516-738-0447 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Health & Welfare Council of LI has teamed up with GetYourRefund.org to help you file your taxes online with the help of HWCLI Staff and IRS- certified volunteers from across Long Island. This year, taxpayers will be able to access our service from the comfort and safety of their own home and will be contacted via phone and email to complete and finalize their return.
Please keep checking back for updates.
We will begin contacting clients for an intake on February 1, but will not prepare or file returns until February 12.
If your household income was less than $66,000 in 2020, you could qualify for completely free tax preparation!
HWCLI’s partnership with GetYourRefund.org allows for the process to be remote, quick and simple:
HWCLI Clients will have access to our secure taxpayer portal to complete their taxes. Taxpayers will access the portal to:
Clients will be contacted by HWCLI staff to review the information they have submitted before the return is prepared.
The portal is not live yet, but will be linked here.
• Valid Photo Identification (You and your spouse, if you are filing jointly)
•Social Security Card for taxpayer and any dependents being claimed.
• W-2 for all jobs you had in 2020
• Proof of any cash income being claimed
• Voided check and/or savings account number if you want direct deposit of your refund (Optional).
• Receipts for all deductions being claimed
• Form 1099-R or SSA if you receive a pension or Social Security
• Form 1099-G if you received unemployment benefits
• If you have educational expenses, bring the 1098-T or 1098-E form
• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099– DIV or INT)
• Total paid for child care & child care providers tax ID or Social Security
• Number of child care provider
• Form 1098—Mortgage interest and property taxes
• If you purchased health insurance through the New York State of Health Marketplace, bring form 1095-A or B
This year, all taxpayers must have a valid email address to utilize our service.
We cannot prepare your taxes if you have:
• Health Savings Account
• Any of the following income: rent income (Scheduled E), royalties, partnerships, trust or farm income, Air BnB Income
• Tax returns for ministers or members of the clergy.
• Moving expenses
• Form 4797 Sales of Business Property.
• Self-employed health insurance deductions.
• Domestic productions activities (form 8903).
• Credits from forms 2439, 8839 and 8885.
• Federal tax fuel Scheduled 4136.
• Household employment Scheduled H.
• PR income, Foreign Earned Income exemption (forms 2555/2555-EZ).
• Adoption Credit.
• Out of state returns or part-year residents of NYS
Keep checking back here for the link to our secure portal where you can begin the process without an appointment.
GetYourRefund is a non-profit service built by Code for America in partnership with IRS-certified Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites nationally. Code for America is a non-profit technology organization dedicated to making government work for the people that need it most.
Join us in creating a future for Long Island in which everyone has an equal opportunity to prosper and thrive.
Join Our Network
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Established in 1947, the Health and Welfare Council of Long Island (HWCLI) is a regional, nonprofit umbrella organization for health and human service providers. We are dedicated to improving the lives of Long Island’s most vulnerable residents by responding to their needs through the promotion and development of public policies and direct services.
We've Moved! 110 Walt Whitman Road, Suite 101, Huntington Station, NY 11746
Thank you to all of our speakers for their partnership with the nonprofit sector through this pandemic: Joe Lamanti… https://t.co/EVrz1aE464
#10 hours ago
Anthony S. Fauci, M.D., NIAID Director, will join
@Newsday tomorrow at 12:00PM for an in-depth talk and Q&A on wha… https://t.co/GpAI0A5h0p
#3 weeks ago
Copyright ©2019 HWCLI. All Rights Reserved. Designed by FBC